Sunday, July 24, 2011

Week 9

Sunday, July 24.

Africa - Dawa Bar.
14:00-20:30

So now that the new Tamu Tamu courtyard is open we split up so that of the openers one person takes care of Tamu Tamu while the other takes care of Dawa Bar. The ones who come in later usually help out in both with a strong emphasis on Dawa Bar. So when I got there Tamu Tamu was well taken care of so I went and helped Greg with Dawa Bar. Turns out I like busing tables, you're constantly busy and chat with people. Early on we noticed that something was wrong with the table arrangement, they get moved constantly but it's usually easy to see where they go back, for some reason there were too many tables. So Greg and I moved some tables around, switched small ones with bigger ones and finally managed to get everything back in order. I had the bright idea to move each table over a little bit instead of dragging a large heavy table over a large distance and breaking our backs in the process, Greg said I was smart. I thought it was common sense... works either way.
Closing Dawa/Tamu consists of cleaning up the tables and empty the trash in both areas. Easy peasy. I had extra time so I gave in to my OCD and disinfected all the tables in Dawa Bar (it's done all day each time a table empties, but not all of them at once when everyone is gone).

Monday, July 25.

Off - Post Office.

Going anywhere with this bus service is an epic trip. Wouldn't a car be nice? *hint hint* The trip to the post office is long, which was alright with me since I'm trying to finish my book. I got to the post office to send off two postcards to France and to buy American and International stamps (no future trips to the post office except for packages). That took me five minutes. The bus wouldn't be there for another half hour or so. So I walked around to see the few shops around, Cici's Pizza, Dominoes, a billiard, an Irish Pub, and a little supermarket/gift shop. I went in there and bought some pre-cut watermelon and cherries. So gooooooood. I actually finished my cherries as I wrote this last line. I sat on a bench and read until the bus arrived and then made it home again. That's the main problem with a lot of these trips, going somewhere is a pain, getting back is just a few minutes.

Tuesday, July 26.

Off - Animal Kingdom and Harry Potter with Ricky.

THIS DAY WILL BE UPDATED WHEN MY PHOTOS ARE RESIZED. CHEERS!

Wednesday, July 27.

Dinoland - Boneyard.
14:30-21:00

The rain can go away, just a little bit. It doesn't work on the Brazilian tour groups anyway, so right now it's basically pointless.

I left early and stopped by costuming before work for new pants, a new rain suit, and a new hat. I gave up my hat, I now have a cap, it looks a lot less silly, haha.
I met Wayne today, he was mad that it started raining (part two) right after we finished drying the trash cans in our area and pushed all the big puddles back to the drains. Turns out the big green brooms made my little muscles ache, it made my day go by faster.
They were testing out Primeval Whirl so I had to explain to guests that the ride was not actually running, they were just testing it. People either look sad or angry when told they can't ride a ride. They need to take that thing off of the map for a little bit.
I (tried to) helped a lady who lost her six year old son. She was freaking out and my coordinators were not willing to help me out so we ended up going up to the Nemo area where they have a phone and the lady working there helped us out by calling security. Turns out the son was found before security showed up (they're not the fastest). That's when the first batch of rain came down. I didn't have time to get my new rain jacket.
This was also the day the managers held a meeting near the Dinoland compactor because of its safety hazard. The compactor there is build to be used near a dock where you would need to go up on a small platform to reach into your banana boat. In our situation we go up two steps and have to reach down into the boat. See the problem? Yeah, so did I a number of days ago, reaching down into the boat when on the same level is already a pain in the lower back (har har har), having to reach below our own feet is ridiculous. At least they figured it out, I'm not sure which custodial reported it, it should have been done a long time ago.

Thursday, July 28.

Africa - Pangani.
14:30-21:00

Pangani again, do I love Pangani or what? Actually I really do. The animals are wonderful to look at. I was Parade Pre-Liner with Dan (who took forever) so it was fun. Barb (manager) and Doreen (coordinator) went with us. Barb did all the talking with the crowd while Doreen stuck with Dan until he started falling behind at which point she gave up and joined us as I grabbed trash from both sides of the Parade line.
Greg was on his day off and brought his kids to the park so I got to meet them, they're awesome.
Overall a fun day, my trash run went well as usual. I had the joy of cleaning up a Code V at the very start of it, which relieved the Pangani staff who did not want to take care of it. I decided to dump at the Safari compactor rather than Africa/Asia and a guy from Tusker restaurant dumped my trash for me. I didn't know how to take it, whether he thought I wasn't strong enough or if he didn't want to go back in to Tuskers. I decided to stay positive and take it as "yay, less work for me" and went to dump my recycling.
We're now allowed to throw the plastic bags in the recycling bin because of the bees that fly around. It used to be we HAD to empty the bags.
I also had to cover the drums in Harambe before leaving (almost being late) because Dan forgot to do so. Good job Dan, you owe me one - I'll take one of your $25 pin, thank you.
Dan is one of the five of us who will be here until January and he is addicted to getting the fancy pins so he can look them up on Ebay and dream of all the money he's going to be making off of Disney's back. It won't happen but one can always dream, right?

Friday, July 29.

Main Entrance - Medical Side.
13:00-21:30

It had better be Medical Side, with the crazy heat and humidity Bus Side would have killed me. Especially when I realized that Xavier had two runs in a row, hahaha, sucked to be him. He blamed me for it, I'm usually Bus Side.
Other than that it was an easy day, a bit boring, people weren't pin trading as much as usual, it usually kills a few minutes at a time.
I drank at least a bottle of water an hour and only used the restroom once so I can imagine how bad my body needed the water to regulate itself. Good job for making it through another day Body.
The baby birds are so big! The nests are getting too small for the parent bird with two offspring. They're becoming a bit more noisy as they demand food so the Guests are starting to notice them, it creates other magical moments as they are part of a once in a lifetime experience of seeing Spoonbill babies.

Saturday, July 30.

Africa - Harambe.
13:30-20:00 (Extended to 20:30)

This was one of those weird days where I don't have a radio and I don't have a trash run. It became even stranger when I got to the main office and Doreen discovered that my name had been crossed out of Harambe and "Dinoland Restrooms 16:00" was scrawled in. She joked that I could relax until 16:00 (I wish) and then called Ladonna to ask her where I was supposed to be until then. I was told to go to Harambe until then and sweep sweep sweep. So I put my sunscreen on, went outside to grab my pan, broom, and towels and then went back in to ask when to take my breaks. I was told that being as helpful as I was I could take breaks every two hours or so, whenever I felt like it really. The paper said I was supposed to have a lunch at 15:00 and a break at 17:00 so that's what I did (I extended my break to a second lunch - shhh).
It turned out we also had a Track Talk (you know, where the managers give us the latest news) at 14:30, so I went up to Africa, swept for an hour, found the South African International Thuso to wish him a happy birthday, and then walked back down the Main Office. The meeting took about fifteen minutes so by the time I made it back to Africa it was time for my lunch that I took five minutes early thinking I would have to be Pre-Lining the Parade at 15:30. It turns out that Amandine, the other French CP, was scheduled to replace me since I had to be in Dinoland by 16:00. I left before the Parade so I could make it through Asia and found Jasmine, in charge of the Dinoland Restrooms, and got the AirClic radio from her. She was running late so I told her I would take the trash over to the compactor for her, not to worry, mainly so I would have something to do, the restrooms being sparkling clean.
The Dinoland Restrooms are the ones near the Hester & Chester store and the ones in Restaurantosaurus, they stayed clean the whole time, it was a great place to work. It's always nice to work in a new place/area. It also turned out that a lot of fun people were in Dinoland so my 17:00 break turned into a great lesson with Greg and Nick of the ethics of UPS who apparently use boxes to stand on when reaching for other boxes. Greg drove their trucks, Nick had a girlfriend who worked for UPS and they both agreed on that specific point so it'll be a bit before I outright pick to send a packaged through UPS.
At 18:45, before going to close my restrooms, I went by the Dinoland Custodial closet and found that a mini Custodial get together was there: Dan, Justin, and Rafael were discussing Spanish, and Rafael taught us the easiest phrase to remember "eso si que es" S.O.C.K.S. Huan and Greg then showed up and we all chatted for a while before some of them left for their trash run and Rafael and I left to go close our restrooms.

Today was the last the park closed at 20:00. Starting next week we close at 19:00.

No comments:

Post a Comment