Sunday, July 03, 2011

Week 6

Sunday, July 03.

Discovery Island - Pizzafari.
14:00-20:30

I had the 16:30 trash run so I had the chance to see the Parade from a good vantage point, I love it. The Pizzafari trash run is not hard, it's just a hassle to get the cart from Flametree side and then having to go back and forth between the two sides. I showed the route to the CP guy after me. For some reason I can't remember his name, he's from Turkey though.

Isn't it gorgeous?

The best part of working on this side of the Tree of Life is that you get to walk on the trails that go right under it and you can take a close look at some of 325 animals carved into it.

Monday, July 04.

Off - Costuming and pool with Ricky.

We were debating which of the two to do first, costuming won out since it was the important thing to do that day before Ricky went off to work. I kept the shirts I have (I wash them myself, they fit so well I don't want to give them up) but got five new pairs of pants. Ricky got his shirts and shorts. We're still not sure why he has to go to DAK Costuming when he works at Hollywood Studios, I suppose it's just one of Disney's mysteries.
When we got back we put on our swimsuits and jumped into the pool, felt sooo good. We didn't stay long, the pool at 13:00 is full of sun and Ricky had to get ready for work. I spent the rest of the day doing nothing, that's how I roll.
Around 21:00 I felt like a slob with everyone gone to watch the fireworks and Ricky and Lynn at work so I finally convinced myself to move and made my way to Hollywood Studios to watch their fireworks. I recorded it all on camera, it will get uploaded in the very near future. Ricky was working inside for that, apparently he was able to see them as well by leaning on the wall near the door. After the fireworks I went around the park to see it at night. There's something very magical about the parks at night, with all the lights on.

The renown hat.

So full of magic and stars.

The crowd before/after fireworks.

The tower at night.

They had a group performing for a bit during the evening, up until one in the morning so I stuck around listening to them. Ricky finished working at 1:15 so it was perfect timing for me. I got to go backstage and see the Photopass offices and they gave us cupcakes and Fourth of July cake because there were a bunch of leftovers from the day. Nummy nummy! That made the end of that busy day that much better!

Tuesday, July 05.

Off.

It took me a minute to remember what we did, good thing I have pictures to remind me of what happens from week to week.
So on this sunny Tuesday Ricky and I made our way back to Downtown Disney in search of entertainment. We made it to the AMC Theater and went to watch Kung Fu Panda 2. We had silver tickets with reduced prices because we're Disney Cast members (woot!) and free fountain drinks and popcorn (well not completely free, we did buy reduced coupons). I loved the movie, just as much as the first one. The story was original and the art-style they use when going through memories and stories within the story is just gorgeous. I suppose I could have waited for it to come out on DVD but for reduced prices, totally worth it!
After that we made our way to Team Disney, a building a little bit away that has a Company D (with wonderful discounted items for us). Team Disney is a crazy architectural building. We weren't sure what the building was every time we drove by on the bus, now we know, it's all offices offices offices. Gorgeous.

Makes you wonder who designs these buildings.

Ricky!

We went back to Downtown Disney debating between going to Magic Kingdom or home. Magic Kingdom won out in the hope that we would find a funnel cake vendor (we did). We caught the bus to the Contemporary Resort and caught the monorail from there. The Resort is insane, crazy(awesome) design, very futuristic, and the monorail runs straight through it.

That little girl actually stood up on the table. Manners...

Rows and rows of rooms.

In the monorail.

We made it to the Magic Kingdom and went through all the shops to see what they offered, and I must say everything is amazing and magical. While in the candy store we heard music starting up so we made our way back to the main square where a Veteran was honored with the park's American flag. After that we made our way to the Castle where we took pictures and were on time to watch the "Dream with Mickey" show. We then went around the park, literally. We went around to all the different "lands" and rode a number of rides, amongst them Pirates of the Caribbean, the Haunted Mantion and It's a Small World. We grabbed a Funnel Cake in Sleepy Hollow and kept walking around the park.

Big castle.

Tiny castle!

THE statue to see.

Isn't he just adorable?

That's  all folks! After that we went home.

Wednesday, July 06.

Restrooms Checker.
8:00-17:30

I think that being a restroom checker has to be the best job in the world. For some reason I was the only checker to end at 17:30, the others had to stay until 18:30. As a checker you are assigned a certain number of restrooms and all you do is walk from one to the other checking that the person actually in charge of each restroom is doing their job correctly and help them out during their lunch break. Most times you do it on your own but Raymond had the same ones and didn't have his set of keys so we stuck together the whole time so I could open the custodial closets for him. He has a lot of stories so I spent the whole day listening and not speaking much, pretty perfect in my opinion.
I got to the Main Entrance restroom and then realized that the scanner did not connect to my radio so I had to go back to the Main Office so Coordinator Mary could give me a new scanner (it attaches to the radio). I then made my way back to the restroom, checked them, and we continued our tour. We were in charge of Main Entrance (inside and outside), Camp Minnie-Mickey, Pizzafari, Baby Care, First Aid, Africa (Harambe and Tuskers), and Caravan (Asia). When we got to Camp Minnie-Mickey Raymond's scanner stopped working at which point we realized that it was missing the red glass in front of the scanning ray. So once again we made our way back to the Main Office and as soon as he showed it to Mary it started working again. Apparently that little red glass has no utility. We went back to Camp and continued from there. Harambe in Africa was a mess, a whole wall of toilets (7 or 8) were not flushing, that's a third of that restroom. I went to the break room and called Maintenance. We checked Tuskers restroom and then Raymond and I grabbed bikes and rode over to Pride Rock to check out what was left over from breakfast. We weren't actually hungry so we went back to what we were actually supposed to do. We did a few more trips around the park and had to go from Baby Care to the Main Office again to get chemicals for them to clean the baby changing tables in there.
That's about all the excitement I had for that work day. I went home nice and early. When Ricky got home he brought me a gift, a promise ring =D So now I have a pretty silver band that's all shiny, I'm super happy.

Thursday, July 07.

Asia - Everest.
14:30-21:00

Once again Everest. Not much to say, I like this section, I can spend long minutes standing by the Himalayas watching and hearing Guests come down screaming and joking about it with other Guests. The trash run went well, once you get a handle on it it's a lot smoother.

Friday, July 08.

Africa - Harambe.
14:30-21:00

Harambe! I love Africa, I do believe it's my favorite spot to work in. The Afrikaans working there are extremely nice and one of the outside food vendor was part of my DAKlimation class so we chatted for a bit. In the center of Harambe there's a "school" where at different times during the day one of the Cast members from South Africa will take his or her turn and talk to the Guests about their life and their country. I listen to one of them for about twenty minutes learning a lot, not remembering much but I'm sure it's in my subconscious somewhere.

According to my camera this was also the day we tried to see the shuttle take off. The clouds ruined our chances but we had breakfast on a bench by Walgreens hehehe.

See? CLOUDS!

Ricky having breakfast: yogurt and a muffin.

Saturday, July 09.

Africa - Dawa Bar.
14:00-20:30

All the Custodials that hate being stuck in one small space all day will tell you that Dawa Bar is by far the worst area to work in. I personally love it, I bused tables all afternoon and emptied the trash cans when needed. I carried trays back to Tamu Tamu and enjoyed myself. I made friends with Don who lives in Vista and can't wait to get away from Disney where he sees himself as a slave. He's fun though, and I suppose without someone like that to work with Dawa Bar could be a bit dull.

No comments:

Post a Comment