Sunday, July 10, 2011

Week 7

Sunday, July 10.

Off - Walmart with Cristina.

Walmart, when you take the bus, is a pretty epic journey. I've gone with Ricky and we made it back alive with a good amount of bags but we kept it realistic considering we take the bus and then have to carry them across Vista and up stairs.
With Cristina that idea doesn't come about. She had to go to the pharmacy to transfer her prescription so we decided to go shopping in the afternoon (the first Walmart bus on Sunday is at 13:00). We ended up grabbing so much grocery it was ridiculous. The good thing was the fact that I bought a little laundry basket so we packed a bunch of groceries in there. The amount of frozen food (meat) and snack food Cristina bought for us was impressive. I also bought a body pillow - not my brightest idea - but it's so big and comfortable I have no regrets. So we had a fun time carrying that from the bus to our apartment. Good times.

Monday, July 11.

Off - I would write something here but I need someone to remind me what I did that day.

Tuesday, July 12.

Discovery Island - Pizzafari.
14:30-21:00

It's kind of sad to write about a day when nothing notable really happened. I got to watch the Parade from very close by. I stood amongst the crowd. It really is a beautiful Parade, each float is great and the people on stilts between them have amazing costumes and dance like pros.

Wednesday, July 13.

Asia - Caravan.
11:30-20:30

I had my trash run during the day instead of the closing trash which is nice because you can take your time and take up most of your day but when you're done there's nothing to look forward to except clocking out. When you have a closing trash run you have a mad rush at the end which I think makes it all worthwhile. Coordinator Mary had me put all the chairs in order near the two food vendors and I found one metal chair that had a strangely twisted foot. It either melted or had a very heavy person sitting on it. I'm voting for a mix of those two things.

Thursday, July 14.

Dinoland - Boneyard.
14:30-21:00

Dinoland is not the most exciting but at least Greg was working Dinoland so we were able to chat every now and then. As soon as I came in Trina (a Seasonal custodial) asked if I could take care of a Code V for her while she did her trash run. I'm sorry to say that I denied her that request (also kind of glad that I stood up for myself and said no). It's important to know that Trina is not appreciated by the other Custodials because of her tendency to slack off (and spend most of her day in break rooms/back areas). So I said NO, and that ended up getting back to Greg who proceeded to laugh his butt off when I told him my side of the story.
We also had the pleasure of noticing that there was no 16:00 trash run scheduled so Greg had to call a coordinator to ask what was going on and we got stuck with two trash runs instead of one. By the end of the first one it started raining. Oh joy.
I met Aanse (I don't think that's how it's spelled but I didn't write it down) who is an older gentleman from a Northern country and has a really wonderful sense of humor. We Custodials have a jolly time now don't we?

Friday, July 15.

Africa - Pangani.
13:30-20:00

This was a weird day, I was not given a trash run and I had no radio. Pretty sweet is what it was. From the moment I arrived I was told to cover the lunches of those in Dawa Bar so for two hours I just stayed around Dawa Bar and the new Tamu Tamu courtyard wiping tables and carrying empty trays back to Tamu Tamu.
At 15:30 I got ready for the Pre-Lining, Greg decided to take the second garbage since no one showed up for it (Brian ended up showing up but the coordinators let Greg do it). We got to the middle of Discovery Island before we realized that the Parade hadn't started. Apparently a storm was supposed to happen so the Parade was cancelled. We turned around and put our garbage cans back where they belonged in the Africa closet and went our separate way.
I spent the rest of that day walking around Pangani and through the Safari cue line. I also spent a certain amount of time chatting with Laura who was standing at the entrance of the Express train telling people that it stopped running at 17:50. The sad look on people's faces is quite sad.


Saturday, July 16.

Asia - Anandapur.
11:30-20:30

I'm not sure why but since my first day almost fainting in Anandapur it has been a bit of a scary place for me to work in, but today made it seem a whole lot better. As I said before I'm not a fan of runs during the day but this was not as bad as I would have expected.
Ladonna told me when I got in to sweep the Kali River Rapid cue line as much as I could, we've been called out on the state it's been at closing. So that's what I did all day, I swept the cue line (fighting the line) and walked the Maharajah Jungle Trek. It's a gorgeous trail to walk, you can see tigers and bulls and birds. For some reason I've been reticent to go away from the path into the "Bird" area of the Trek, but it's silly, it needs as much sweeping as other areas. So today I walked it a few times, and the birds are gorgeous. It's so peaceful to walk through there.
I also chatted with the people working Kali Rapids and pretty much had a great time the whole day. My trash run was easier than I expected. Cue lines in the middle of the day are not always the easiest, but I managed pretty well and found a few shortcuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment