Sunday, August 21, 2011

Week 13

Sunday, August 21.

Africa - Harambe.
12:30-19:00

As the park starts closing earlier and earlier it requires earlier mornings. I remember a few weeks ago starting at 14:30... good times. Not looking forward to starting at 11:30 (or noon) every day.
I enjoy working in Harambe, it's a very easy trash run and compact area to clean. It has a good ratio of shade and has great people working there. I had to cover Tamu Tamu and Dawa Bar lunches again so I spent most of the day cleaning up tables and Pre-lining the Parade. The day went by incredibly fast, it's always a pleasure.

Monday, August 22.

OFF.

I spent the morning with Ricky, and by morning I mean, until 16:00 or so. I went to Hollywood Studios with him when he left for work. For the second half of the afternoon I met up with Amanda, Marcie, and Aida to ride some rides and see Fantasmic. Amanda's last day working with us is on Wednesday.

Tuesday, August 23.

OFF. Blizzard Beach and Magic Kingdom with Ricky.

I have no photos for this day, I believe this is the day we went to Blizzard Beach in the morning. I have to say, Disney is champion at theming. I don't like water/swimming/wearing a swim suit, but a good water park will just make you forget all that. There is a lazy river that goes all around the park, you sit in your little floating rubber ring thing (I just realized I don't know how to say it in English) and you float all around. There are a few entry/exit points depending where you want to go. I could stay on that thing for hours. We did a few slides and I stayed in the wave pool while Ricky did some more slides. It started raining while we were waiting for the bus so compared to our experience at Typhoon Lagoon, we did not get soaked!
We relaxed a little bit during the afternoon and then made our way to the Magic Kingdom to see the fireworks display Wishes. We made it in time to see the light show The Memories, The Magic, and You. They shine different lights on the Castle to highlight different areas, they display photos and have great music to go along. A beautiful night overall.

Wednesday, August 24.

Restrooms - Camp/Pizzafari.
08:00-19:30


I was supposed to be restrooms checker, that was how it appeared on my schedule, instead I was placed in the Camp Minnie-Mickey/Pizzafari restrooms. Camp is not the busiest area to work in, the restrooms even less. They are located at the very end of Camp and are mainly used after the Lion King show, so once an hour or so. The restrooms in Pizzafari are not very busy either, located inside the restaurant with the second entrance removed from the main path of Discovery Island, Guests opt for the restrooms in Africa. That would explain the amount of people in those restrooms. The day was not as boring as it could have been thanks to Dan and Paul working streets in Camp Minnie-Mickey. I actually met Paul in Camp my first time there, he's from Washington State University as well and remembers Ricky from the meetings we had before leaving Pullman. Dan is just fun to be around, especially when he's bored.

In more important news for the park Jabali, a baby elephant, was born today. He was 311 pounds at birth and his name means strong as a rock.

Thursday, August 25.

Africa - Pangani (switched to Restrooms).
12:30-19:00. Extended to 19:30.

I was excited to be in Africa, I have to say it's one of my favorite locations. Mainly because of the people working there, between Laura at the train station and the Internationals it's always fun to be around. I was placed in Pangani which is a great place to work thanks to the shade and for a lot of Custodial cast members because of all the hiding spots. I walked the trail a few times and then went to do Parade Pre-lining. As usual, it takes up a good chunk of the day so it's always nice to be part of that. As I continued to walk around Pangani waiting for my 17:30 trash run I ran into Scott, a strange sight - managers are not often seen off the main park paths. We chatted a little bit and then I finished my round.
A little bit after Pre-lining I was told that I would be taking over the Africa Restrooms at 17:00 and would be extended to 19:30. I still don't understand why these restrooms, so far off in the park, have to be opened a half hour later than the rest, but then, Guests are not always the smartest and will wonder why no one else is around. Covering these restrooms allowed me to skip out on my closing trash run in Pangani, I have to admit that was pretty nice.

Friday, August 26.

Africa - Pangani.
12:30-19:00


Saturday, August 27.

Restrooms - Main Entrance.
08:30-19:30

I was scheduled to work Africa from 12:30 to 19:00 again but Barb (manager) came into my Africa Restrooms on Thursday asking if I minded working a restroom shift. I like the air conditioning and the overtime so I readily agreed. I was actually able to pick between Main Entrance and Everest, I have a soft spot for Main Entrance so I picked that one - I later learned that Aida got the Everest ones... oops.
Since Aida and I came in at the same time she was nice enough to give me a ride to work. She called me at 7:28 (two minutes before my alarm) asking if I could be ready at 7:40, she had to go to costuming. I actually made it and we ended up being fifteen minute early to work.

It was a whirlwind of a day. It was Bethany's (CP manager) last day with us so at Track Talk at 12:45 we brought her a cake to show our appreciation. She allowed Aida and me to take our break fifteen minutes late so we made our way to Pride Rock for lunch and stayed there 45 minutes instead of half an hour. Dan who had just come in at 12:30 and should have been in Pangani by 13:00 or so came along with us and sat there. Huan showed up for his lunch a little later so we all had a good time.

The tail of Irene also sent a large amount of wind and rain our way (contrary to what Ricky believed on Friday night). On my second break I tried to make my way back to the break room right when the skies open. I grabbed a random poncho left behind in the bathroom closet and ran to grab my own rain gear in the break room. As I got there a lady came out running asking if I had any extra towels, a flood was forming in the break room. At that time Scott (intern manager) showed up and we spend fifteen minute mopping and toweling the floor dry - good times. Scott is an important manager in our little College Program Universe. Since Bethany is leaving/left he is now in charge of us. Because of that fact most of the CPs are wary of him and are not all that friendly towards him. As he says, he makes it a point to chat with all of us and to go all over the park, as opposed to other managers who just stay on the main paths and don't venture in to the Jungle Trek or Pangani. That only registers as negative for the CPs who see him as invading their hiding spaces. I chat with him when he shows up, he's 23 and is having trouble "fitting in" with the older custodials. I figure it can't hurt to make friends with managers, now can it?

No comments:

Post a Comment